Sunday, June 30, 2013

Hello From Louisville

Before our move to Louisville, KY I was asked if I had considered starting a blog to stay connected to friends and family in our hometown of Greenville, SC.  For two main reasons I have always been a bit daunted by the thought of keeping a blog.  Firstly, it seems so personal.  As a young girl and teen I kept a pen and paper journal.  I would pour out my heart on those pages revealing my deepest desires and aspirations, my fears, insecurities, and hopes.  It was a wonderful outlet for me then and I still find comfort in making pen/paper lists.  Secondly, I find that I have an innate desire to please others which could potentially make authenticity a challenge.  Am I going to blog about things that make others feel happy?  Things that comfort them?  Things that give them a sense of security?  Things that make them feel as if all is "right" with our family... that we are not struggling so far away from our support system?  OR am I going to blog about the hard things?  About the times I lose my temper?  About the hundred different ways I fail as a wife and mother each day?  About my disobedient children?  About my badly behaved dogs?  About how hard life can be with young children and a husband who works long hours?  Truthfully, I don't have the answers to those questions because I don't know where this blog will take me.  I don't want to "air our dirty laundry" but I do want to be authentic.  Prayerfully, the Holy Spirit will give me discernment about what and how much to share.  I have had this space for some time, and I hope to use Sunday afternoons as a time to reflect/highlight what has happened in our lives.  I don't promise regular or consistent postings, but if you are curious about what we are up to and I have not blogged in a while you can always email me :)

Highlights from our first week in Louisville:
  • Unpacking!  Our home has very little cabinet/closet space so we have been challenged to eliminate "clutter" and have unpacked only the necessities.  There are many unopened boxes being stored in the basement :)
  • Tricycle rides and walks through our new neighborhood!  I LOVE our neighborhood.  Its shady sidewalks are perfect for walking the dogs, riding bikes, jogging (not doing any of that these days!), etc.  In the early mornings and evenings there are many people out and about.
  • Meeting the neighbors!  We have friendly neighbors on either side.  Both are professional couples around our age.  Neither couple has kids yet, but one couple is expecting their first baby in late October.  There is evidence that some children live on our street, but we have not seen or met anyone yet.
  • New drivers licenses and library cards!  We are within walking distance from the St. Matthews Library (it is on our street!).  Bowen has already completed the Summer Reading Program and is going to collect his prize this afternoon :)  We are also looking forward to Preschool Story Time on Wednesday mornings!
  • Getting acclimated!  We have found the Trader Joes, Big Lots, Dollar Tree, Walmart, Target, Starbucks, Library, Chick-fil-A, and Farmers Market.  What more do we need??
  • Church!  We attended a very small, downtown, Baptist church this morning called Baxter Ave Baptist Church.  We were invited by a very lovely woman, Hayley Wilton, that I met through a series of contacts - my Grandmother knows her mother from BSF...  It was a sweet church family where hearts were turned to prayerful and meaningful worship.  The regular pastor was away on vacation but they had a time of fellowship after the service and invited us to stay for lunch.  We met some very kind people and really enjoyed our time there.  We are looking forward to visiting several other churches in the following weeks, but hope to go back to Baxter Ave Baptist to hear their regular pastor.  I am really wanting to put down "roots" quickly before Baby Lorelei comes in August.
  • Orientation for Josh!  Josh had his orientation on Friday and begins full time Fellowship on Monday.  His hours will be 7am-7pm.  He will also be "on call" 6 times each month when he will be at the hospital from 7am until 11am the following day (i.e., 7am Wednesday morning until 11am Thursday morning).  He is excited and nervous about this new beginning.  We are excited for him, but it has been nice to have him at home this week.  I anticipate that things are going to be challenging for all of us as we adjust to this new schedule...
  • I have signed Bowen up for swimming lessons that start on Friday and am looking for a Mother's Morning Out where he can meet new friends and play for a few hours while I clean or run errands.  He attended a lovely little MMO in Greenville and we both loved it :)
Love from L'ville,
Melissa

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love this. Thanks for being willing to share. And I'm Queen of Never Posting World and Princess of Posting Every Once in a While Land, so don't worry about consistency because I take the cake.

    Things I am SO happy you have:

    -no storage space (haha, because we don't either, so I totally empathize...something about old houses I guess; we actually have a room (Emma Jean's) that doesn't have a closet and my dad always says, "That's not a real bedroom." but i think it's good because it forces me to not acquire too much junk or get creative with organization

    -a library on your street, totally jealous

    -friendly neighbors, and it's fun to think you might even have a play date friend very soon

    -shady sidewalks, also totally jealous and happy for y'all to be able to enjoy walking...it's one of our favorite things to do as a family

    -prospective church! so good.

    God is faithful no matter what, and I'm so excited for all He has in store for your family. I love you!

    p.s. there is a way to set up your account so it can only be viewed by people you want. you just have to have those people's email addresses or send them an email to sign up to receive your posts. just a thought if you're concerned about privacy.

    ReplyDelete