Friday, July 20, 2012

Day 13

Emotional Cravings...
As I mentioned in an earlier post, this has been a hard week for me regarding cravings.  I'm not sure why this is happening, but after talking to several people I suspect that it is probably a psychological or neglected emotional issue that is surfacing as a result of the cleanse.  I know that might sound silly, but in my past I used food as a means to numb myself and ignore any problems that were too difficult or painful.  I replaced feeling with eating.  I can remember that the first time I ever used food this way I was 11 years old.  I can remember in detail the food that I ate and the reason I ate it.  I have been nurturing this behavior for almost 19 years, and it is a hard pattern to undo.  Now, I am learning to eat for my body's nutritional needs rather than because of how I'm feeling.  This is a big change - a huge life change - that is going to take time and perseverance.  
In the meantime, what do I do with these "cravings"?  My "guru", Jodie, said that because I'm exercising a lot I may actually not be eating enough.  She suggested adding another shake to my menu, which I have done today.  She said perhaps my body is also craving something specific?  She mentioned fats, but I'm thinking it could be related to carbs.  I ate some rice for dinner and I do feel a bit better.  Also, I made some decaf coffee for an after dinner "treat" which helps me not feel so deprived.  I guess I'll have to do some more research on the possibility of emotional issues in cleansing see what develops.  


So here's WHAT I ATE TODAY

Breakfast smoothie

  • 2 scoops protein powder
  • frozen strawberries, pineapple, and spinach
  • water/ almond milk


Post-workout smoothie



Lunch

  • red pepper
  • 1/4 cup curried lentils
  • peach


Afternoon snack

  • 1 scoop protein powder + almond/coconut milk


Dinner

  • left over salmon
  • tomato avocado salad
  • long grain and wild rice (not brown, but ehh)
  • sugar-free vanilla pudding


After Dinner

  • decaf coffee with half and half


No comments:

Post a Comment